History

Burford Lodge was built c.1814 as an elegant country residence for a local businessman and was the first property to be built alongside what was then a new road. By 1844, it was The Bird’s Nest public house and in 1864 became The Oxford. Soon afterwards, called Oxford House, it was the private residence of Thomas Henry Reynolds who wrote hymns and was financially involved in the Burford brewery and a number of local utilities. He renamed the house High View and this name remained until around 1930, when it was once more converted to trade as The High View Private Hotel.

Later, the liberally minded Sharpe family, conservationists, musicians and naturists, operated the High View as a bed and breakfast establishment with a caravan site attached. Their business continued until the 1960s, after which it was known for a while as The Winter’s Tale.

In early 2012 Burford Lodge was acquired by its present owners who have undergone a complete refurbishment of all the individual bedrooms and function room as well as the externals including garden and car park.

Burford Lodge is now a traditional style country guest house with 21st century facilities.